Situated eight kilometres from Casa Branca, this leprosarium was founded by a consortium of local authorities. Works began on 29 November 1929 by engineer F. Palma Travassos. Construction was interrupted in 1930, then recommenced in 1931 by the Inspectoria de Prophylaxia da Lepra. In April 1932, the first patients were received. Numbers rose from 352 in 1933 to 1 362 in 1936.
(Araujo, H C S. 'A lepra e as organizações anti-leprosas do Brasil em 1936'. Mem. Inst. Osw Cruz, 1937:32, 148)
Textual and historical references to this leprosarium