A temporary leprosy asylum was established here on 20 February 1936 in the houses of the Fazenda de Itaborahy, which were acquired for the seat of the state leprosarium. Thirty-five patients were housed there at the time of Souza Araujo's visit, and two doctors paid twice-weekly visits to administer injections. The Federal Government had contributed towards the construction of the state leprosarium, which was underway. It was to have 350 beds and was to be a 'hospital-colonia agricola' - a self-sufficient colony/hospital. Dr Decio Parreiras was overseeing the works.
(Araujo, H C S. 'A lepra e as organizações anti-leprosas do Brasil em 1936'. Mem. Inst. Osw. Cruz, 1937:32 (1) 131)
People are still living in this colony.
Textual and historical references to this leprosarium